I am consultant rheumatologist with an interest and expertise in general rheumatology problems. I underwent training in the West Midlands region, taking time out of programme to complete Masters and PhD programme. I have an active interest in health professional education in rheumatology.
Specialist Clinical Interests:
Rheumatoid Arthritis, General rheumatology inflammatory conditions, vasculitis.
Education and Training / Medical Qualifications:
- MBChB University of Birmingham 2002
- MMedEd 2011, University of Warwick
- PhD 2014, University of Warwick
Current membership(s) of professional, national and regional bodies and university posts:
- British Society of Rheumatology Member
- Member of Royal College of Physicians
- A Multi-Centre Study Showing the Utility and Flexibility of Virtual Patients to Teach Musculoskeletal Medicine. Rheumatology. 2014,53 (suppl): i27.
- Bateman J, Davies D. The challenge of disruptive innovation in learning technology. Medical Education.2014 Mar;48(3):227-8.
- Bateman J, Allen ME, Samani D, Kidd J, Davies D. Virtual Patient Design, exploring what works and why: A Grounded theory study. Medical Education. 2013;47;595-606.
- Bateman J, Davies D, Allen M. Mind wandering has an impact in electronic teaching cases. Medical Education.2012; 46(2): 235.
- Bateman, J., Allen, M. E., Kidd, J., Parsons, N. & Davies, D. 2012b. Virtual patients design and its effect on clinical reasoning and student experience: A protocol for a randomised factorial multi-centre study. BMC Medical Education, 12, 62.
- Bateman J, Hariman C, Nassrally M. Virtual Patients can be used to teach clinical reasoning. Clin Teach. 2012 (2)133-4.
- Hariman CH, Bateman J, Bond J. Patient feedback via a national registry could improve physicians' CME. AcadMed. 2012; 87(5): 549; author reply
- Bond J, Bateman J, Nassrally SM. The role of ad-hoc interpreters in teaching communication skills with ethnic minorities. Med Teach. 2012; 34(1): 81.
- Bateman J, Davies D, Allen M: Mind wandering has an impact in electronic teaching cases. Medical Education 2012, 46(2):235.
- Bateman J, Gull D. Structural variations in attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Lancet. 2011 Jan 29;377(9763):378-9.
- Bateman J, Francis R, Thistlethwaite J. Medical student burnout and professionalism. JAMA. 2011 Jan 5;305(1):37-8;.
- Monday mornings, Cannock Chase Hospital - new patients
- Tuesday mornings, Cannock Chase Hospital - follow up patients
- Thursday mornings, Cannock Chase Hospital - follow up patients
- Friday mornings, New Cross Hospital - new and follow up patients
Deborah Stead: 01543 576451