We are an LGBT+ Inclusive Organisation
Proudly Participating in the ‘Rainbow Badge Scheme’
The NHS Rainbow Badge was created by Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust in London, in partnership with Evelina London Children’s Hospital. Badges are handed to NHS staff who have pledged to reduce inequalities and provide support and signposting to LGBT+ people.
By signing up to wear a rainbow badge, staff are committing to offering open and non-judgemental support and care for all, regardless of how people identify themselves. We welcome staff who do not identify as LGBT+ to wear a badge as an official ‘LGBT+ Ally’ and to help us with promoting LGBT+ interests and equality.
Whether you are an inpatient, outpatient, staff member or visitor, you can raise concerns or ask questions of badge wearers who will advise you on how to access the right support.
A Culture Change in Partnership with Staff
The Trust has an LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender+) Employee Voice Group which aims to support LGBT+ employees and work with the senior management team so that RWT is well informed about LGBT+ issues / concerns.
By working alongside staff, and taking their suggestions and ideas into account, the Trust can ensure policies and procedures are inclusive of LGBT+ staff, patients and visitors and discrimination is eradicated.
Objectives of the group:
- To provide a regular forum for discussing diversity issues
- To offer peer support to those who are questioning their sexual orientation or gender identity
- To support with planning a programme of activities that reflects the needs and interests of LGBT+ staff and patients in the Trust
- To work with the Trust to create an inclusive and diverse environment – ensuring confidential channels are available for reporting discrimination or harassment in relation to sexual orientation or gender identity
- To educate staff about LGBT+ issues and best practice in sexual orientation or gender identity
- To encourage staff to become LGBT+ allies and join our network.
RWT Staff: The group is always looking to recruit new members, so if you have an interest and want to contribute towards a fair and equal working environment here at RWT, then please don’t get in touch via the details on the intranet page under ‘Working at RWT > Supporting our LGBT+ Colleagues’. Details can also be found within our official staff Facebook page, just search ‘We are Team RWT’.
We welcome staff who do not identify as LGBT+ and invite you to become an ally to help us with promoting LGBT+ interests and equality at work.
If you would like to highlight areas for improvement, or make a suggestion on what resources could be in place for LGBT+ patients, visitors and staff, please feel free to submit your thoughts to email@example.com
This could be relating to your own experience as an LGBT+ person or as an LGBT ‘ally’ about something you have witnessed – whether it be something that needs addressing or a helpful tool / resource that you feel could be adopted into RWT practices.